Thursday 8 March 2012

What am I?

Guest Article by Carl "The Dean" Sampson


Some people ask me what the hell am I supposed to be? Am I a poker player, sports bettor, writer or what…….just what in hell are you? Well it is true that I do many things but then again that is how I like it because it keeps me sane. My last post discussed grinding and I still haven’t played any poker that I set out to do. Think I may need to re-read Dusty Schmidt’s book again Treat your poker like a business which is a book that I have read numerous times and I advise anyone to read.

I spent Christmas being ill although that meant that no one came to see me because they didn’t want to catch anything. End result was that I had a pretty miserable Christmas and ended up whiling away the hours on the exchanges while the missus visited friends and family. Still, I am not complaining as I won a few quid but it kind of left me feeling a bit flat going into January.

I have worked very closely with betting firms, odds compilers and professional punters down the years and so I have built up a huge amount of knowledge about all things gambling. Most of it is crap mind you and useless but it also means that I am probably the country’s worst gambling anorak. I try not to be a boring sod in other peoples company and never speak about gambling to anyone…….if you do then half of them see you as low life anyway and don’t understand.

Next week will see me back on the virtual felt (promise) and so I may have a few results to report back although I don’t find anything remotely exciting about quoting cash game results. Is it any wonder why they don’t get televised to any great level unless they are high stakes? Except for Sky Poker who do show their cash games regularly and I frequently switch between Sky Sports News, At The Races and Master Cash on Sky Poker during the day when I am stuck with some downtime………what a boring life I lead.

Carl “The Dean” Sampson plays poker at www.pokerstars.co.uk  

No comments:

Post a Comment