Thursday 1 March 2012

A Tough Way to Make an Easy Living

Guest Article by Carl 'The Dean' Sampson


Just like to say that I will be placing a few guest blogs on Leon’s site this year and so I hope that a few of you will be happy to read some of my dubious ramblings about all things poker. First off, I am trying desperately to get back to being some kind of poker player again on a semi-permanent basis. I was listening to an interview from Neil Channing the other day and he said that he would be grinding 60 hour weeks again down at the Vic.

All I can say is WOW……just how do people put that many hours in? Well I know the answer to my question because I used to do it once but many moons ago. It just needs motivation and a large dose of discipline which is sadly something that I have been missing over the past year. I stopped trying to kid myself that I could hack it in high-stakes levels a couple of years ago and that multi-tabling levels like NL100 and even NL50 would be my thing.

But I suppose a little of me died with it when I realised that this was all I was ever going to be based on how much time I could devote to playing poker. You simply cannot compete against players who eat, sleep and breathe the middle limits 24/7 and I have better things to do with my life than grind for hour after hour and spend heaven knows how many hours watching for value to appear. But grinding is an acquired skill and condition almost like building muscle and I have become very flabby this past year.

I played an eight hour session last week and it near wasted me the following day as all I felt like doing was watching At the Races. I often envy the tournament players who seem to live much more glamorous poker lives even if very few are +EV. But when a 3-4 hour session feels like mega-grinding to me these days then I know that I am going to have problems building that back up to a 40 hour week. But anyway…….hope you will tune in to listen to a few more whinges from me in future.

Carl “The Dean” Sampson plays poker at www.pokerstars.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment